Wednesday 26 June 2013

5 Tips to Help You Sleep Naturally

I don't normally have problems falling asleep at the end of a work day.  I'm up at 6:00am, at the gym by 7:00am, and returning home from work at 7:00pm.  I'm pretty knackered after dinner from exercise (my body at the gym and my mind at work) as well as my commute. If anything, I have trouble staying up past 10:00pm!

I have a lot of friends who do have problem shutting down at the end of the day and rely regularly on sleeping pills.  I have an issue with sleeping pills because many people get physically and psychologically addicted to them and you often hear of overdoses through fatal combinations with other prescription medications or alcohol.


Here are some tips that I've compiled from my favourite fitness magazines that I thought I'd share:

1.  Cherries - Eat cherries 30 minutes before bedtime.  Cherries help boost the body's natural levels of melatonin to make you sleepy. Tart cherries in particular are the most effective. If you don't want to eat cherries, drink a glass of (sugar free) cherry juice.

2.  Pumpkin seeds -  Low levels of magnesium are linked to insomnia, so eat some pumpkin seeds in the evening or use a magnesium spray.

3.  Bananas - Like turkey, bananas contain tryptophan, which converts to serotonin and melatonin, the hormones which calm your brain.  Bananas also contain magnesium and potassium, which help to relax muscles and help your body recover after a workout. Blend the bananas with milk (which also contains tryptophan) 30 minutes before you want to fall asleep.

4.  Hot Shower - Warm water helps to dilate the blood vessels and relax muscles. It also gives you the opportunity to start shutting down your brain from a stimulating day and transition into sleep mode, a time essential for your muscles to recover and your brain to recharge itself.

5.  Meditation - Taking some quiet time for yourself before you climb into bed is a good habit to get into to enjoy deeper sleep. Sit next to your bed in a cross-legged position with the lights dim. Spend some time focusing on your breathing and practicing mindlessness (not allowing any thoughts to stick in your mind) for 5 minutes. Slowly climb into bed, lay in the corpse position and feel your body melt away.


I hope these tips help you get a better night's sleep and leave you feeling refreshed and revitalized in the morning.

By Spa Samurai

No comments:

Post a Comment